For most of us, home is where we feel the safest. But do you know that a lot of crimes such as intrusion can also happen at home? Every year, millions of homes have been burglarized because homeowners often feel complacent when it comes to securing their homes and properties. In fact, the FBI has reported that most homes without any security systems installed are likely going to become the next target of burglars. If you want to take your home security to the next level, then you should consider installing perimeter alarms. These alarms can help you monitor and catch an intruder before they can even reach your house’s main door.
In this post, we will put all the details you need to know about perimeter alarms and the top 5 best perimeter alarms in the market today.
- Perimeter alarm - what is it and why do you need it?
- Factors to consider when choosing a perimeter alarm
- Types of Perimeter Alarms
- Advantages of installing a perimeter alarm at home
- 5 Best Perimeter Alarms
Perimeter alarm - what is it and why do you need it?
A perimeter alarm is a device with built-in sensors that trigger an alarm when movements within the surroundings are detected. It is often integrated with other home security devices to help you automate and monitor your properties remotely. With perimeter alarms installed, you can easily detect any intruders and prevent crimes such as break-ins, vandalism, burglary, and other possible crimes within your property.
So now you know how important a parameter alarm is. Imagine when you have a long driveway within your property. Without a perimeter alarm, you wouldn’t be aware of what’s going on around your home. But with a perimeter alarm system installed at your front gate, you can easily monitor and receive alerts through your mobile phone. System cameras with motion sensors will help you keep an eye on your property via a live feed. So whenever a suspicious individual suddenly hops on your front gate, you can immediately take action before he can reach your front door. You can turn the siren on to scare the intruder away and call the authorities.
As you can see, having a perimeter alarm gives you an advantage over burglars and peace of mind, even while you’re away from home. You can even integrate your perimeter alarm with your existing home security system to beef up your security and protect your loved ones from intrusion.
Factors to consider when choosing a perimeter alarm
Range of transmission
Types of Perimeter Alarms
Microwave barrier perimeter alarms
Buried motion sensors
Perimeter alarm with fence detection
Advantages of installing a perimeter alarm at home
Perimeter alarms can cover a large area through the built-in motion sensors installed in the devices. Most of the alarms available today offer high-precision so you can prevent unwanted alarms such as dogs passing by or strong winds which can falsely trigger an alarm. And most of all, these devices are passive. You can monitor your property and take action immediately without risking any lives.
If you have a large property or long driveway, then having a perimeter alarm system installed in your home would offer you an edge against break-ins.
5 Best Perimeter Alarms
Dakota Alert BBA-2500
- LONG RANGE COVERAGE: The 1-mile wireless range of this driveway alert system is much greater than other...
- CUSTOMIZABLE SOUND LEVELS: Choose from four different volume levels to get the perfect sound level for...
- EASY INSTALLATION: The code-learning technology of this alert system makes it quick and easy to set up....
HTZSAFE Long Range Solar Wireless Perimeter Alarm System
- Solar Wireless Outdoor Weatherproof Security Photoelectric Beam Sensor
- Battery Powered And Solar Charged(Requires No Wiring)
- Infrared Detection Range Up To 300 feet, Wireless Transmission Range Up To 1/2 mile
- Highly accurate break beam sensors
- High transmission range of up to 2600 ft.
- Composed of infrared beams which are completely wireless
- Completely solar powered
- Sometimes, the beam sensors won’t connect according to customer reviews
- No electrical backup during the winter season
- Large external mounting accessory
The Dakota Alert BBA-2500 is one of the best alarm systems you might want to consider if you’re looking for longer range and completely wireless set-up. The device is composed of infrared beam sensors that trigger an alarm when a person, car, or large animal breaks the beam. It is less prone to false alarms triggered by strong winds, falling leaves, and smaller animals passing by. With this feature, it is therefore important that you plan really well the ideal place to set up the alarm - mount the device on the area where you want to be monitored without being falsely triggered by passing cars or people.
Another important feature that sets the Dakota Alert device from other competitor brands is the long range. If you have a large property or long driveway, then this alarm is perfect since it can cover up to 2600 feet. And it’s completely wireless - no need to dig holes into your yard to run any wires. However, it only relies on solar power which can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. The good side of this is that you don’t need to connect it to an electrical outlet to make it functional. The bad side, however, is that you may not be able to keep it powered during winter or rainy seasons where there is no sun.
- Long transmission range up to 2600 feet
- Can cover up to four wireless zones
- Bulky in size
Another powerful, long-range driveway alarm system is the HTZSAFE Long Range Alarm System. This solar-powered device comes with two large solar panels which makes it completely wireless. The sensor also has a detection range of up to 300 feet and a transmission range of 2600 feet. You should find this feature appealing if you’re looking for a perimeter alarm that offers wide-reaching protection.
It also comes with four wireless zones which will help you narrow down an area you want to monitor during an alarm. The indoor unit has a clear display while the outdoor sensors are weatherproof and waterproof to ensure that you still get the protection at any season. However, you might find the devices too large when placed on your front gate, making it an easy target for thieves.
Guardline Wireless Driveway Alarm
- Security - Feel a sense of safety around your home with our weatherproof perimeter alarm set. It's...
- Easy to Install - No need to call in an expensive technician for this home security system. Our outdoor...
- Long Range - With 1 motion sensor and 1 receiver, each driveway sensor also has a wireless range of up...
- Customizable alert tones for each sensor
- Can be expanded up to 16 sensors
- Comes with battery backup
- Lifetime warranty
- Device is prone to false alarm
- Transmission range is limited
If you think assigning different alert tones to different sensors sounds cool, then you might like this feature of Guardline. Since Guardline can be expanded up to 16 sensors, or cover up to four different zones with four sensors each, assigning different tones will help you which specific zone the alarm comes from. This is very convenient if you have a large property to monitor.
The device is designed to withstand any weather conditions to help you stay protected anytime. It also comes with a battery backup and a 12 Volts relay so that you can easily link it with other alarm devices.
However, do take note that Guardline can only reach a quarter-mile, and any thick walls in between can further reduce this transmission range. So if you have a long driveway or larger area to monitor, then you should consider other alarm devices with longer range.
Hosmart HY757 Perimeter Alarm
- eMACROS ADVANTAGE-30 years+ solar driveway alarm wireless and solar driveway alert system produced in our...
- EASY TO INSTALL- Quick Start Guide has you operational in minutes! It can expandable up to 4 sensors and...
- SUPER LONG RECEIVING RANGE -We use newer technology components and excellent manufacturing techniques....
- Sensitivity and detection distance is adjustable
- Comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Expandable up to four sensors
- Prone to false alarms
- Some users reported poor customer service
If you’re tech-savvy looking for convenience, reliability, and budget-friendly devices, then the Hosmart is the better deal. The alarm device can reach up to half a mile (or about 1500 feet) and can be expanded up to four sensors. It also comes with a swivel mount so that you can adjust the focus and detection angle of your sensors. So whether you have a smaller area or a larger property to monitor, the Hosmart perimeter alarm can be adjusted to meet your needs.
Driveway Informer DI2000S-GA
- FINALLY A DRIVEWAY ALERT SYSTEM THAT’S MADE IN THE USA: Have you been looking for a driveway alarm...
- 1000 ft LONG RANGE DRIVEWAY ALERT with LONG LASTING BATTERY LIFE. Made from DURABLE, ALL WEATHER...
- REST ASSURED WITH A HIGHLY RELIABLE MULTIPURPOSE ALARM: Forget about your old alarm systems that failed...
- Sensors are expandable
- Easy to install
- Includes mounting bracket and screws
- Transmission range can reach up to 1000 feet
- Doesn’t include an off and on switch
- Some users report false triggers
The Driveway Informer is the best bet for those who are looking for easy-to-install alarm devices and great customer service. Apart from the weatherproof sensors, you can protect an average to larger size properties with its 1000-feet transmission range. It also comes with a battery that can run for a longer time. Using a control knob, you can adjust the alarm sound to a desired volume and check the settings through an LCD display. You don’t need a professional to help you set up the devices - it comes with an easy-to-follow manual to install the wireless perimeter alarm without any fuss.
Perimeter alarms are extremely helpful to protect your home and properties from intrusion. In this post, we have summarized what you need to know about perimeter alarms, why they are important, and the best perimeter alarms available today.
We hope you found this article helpful. If you do, please don’t forget to share this with your friends and family!
Hi, I’m Christy, and I’m an electronics engineer by profession. I have taught in a university for 2 years while pursuing my master’s degree in cognitive radio and worked for a company to develop wireless medical devices. Currently, I’m doing research for a doctorate degree in engineering using a wireless sensor network for smart agriculture. I’ve been active in our local IoT community, IoT Cebu, where I participate in conducting talks about Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and DIY home automation using Wi-Fi and ZigBee devices.
Last update on 2023-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API